Friday, January 1, 2010

Global Theme Day > Changes


A couple of weeks ago, the Grade Seven class  from the Gabriola school sponsored a screening of No Impact Man, a documentary about a family attempting to live an environmentally conscionable life in the heart of Manhattan. It was inspiring to say the least. My wife and I have been working toward minimizing our carbon footprint and though we were already doing a lot of the things suggested in the film (recycling, buying local, buying secondhand, growing our own food, eating in season, composting, etc.), after seeing it, we were convinced we could do more. So, the change we've decided to make right away is this: As of today, we are parking our vehicle for one month. Short of a medical emergency, we will not be driving again until the first of February. We figure if we can manage by walking, biking and hitch hiking in this the darkest, rainiest, coldest month of the year, then alternative transportation should come easier as the weather improves. Here is what my wife had to say about our venture on her site.

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

5 comments:

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

wow, this is a great image with a very profound story and commitment underlying it. good luck with the goal and good for both of you for making it. Happy New Year and I wish you many good photos in your future in 2010!

Bob Crowe said...

I admire you. Not many of us have such determination behind our values. I don't think I could do it. On the one hand, we live in very different communities. On the other, maybe your belief is more sincere.

I finally finished my Nepal-Tibet album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobcrowe/sets/72157622116001661/ .

Virginia said...

V and J,
Bravo. ( and may i add that while I'm writing this V is crooning, "Easy"! I swear! It's an omen! HA

After the car trouble I"ve had the last six months, I'd like to join your change. OH I WISH!!!
V

IamMBB said...

What a great change. We did that last year and it was liberating.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is quite some task you have set for yourself. Congratulations! If my girlfriend's workplace wasn't 55 km from where we live (and where I work), we might try something similar.
My self-experiment for the new year will be to drastically cut down our waste output for a week and do a report about it. Of course it's inspired by the now famous rubbish diet blog (http://therubbishdiet.blogspot.com)

All the best for 2010 to all of you!