Sunday, November 9, 2008

Silva Bay From The Air


Here's the south end of Gabriola as seen from the shotgun seat of a de Havilland Beaver operated by Tofino Air. The first time I rode in one of these, I had a sort of baling-wire-and-duct-tape uneasiness but I've since been reassured by some folks who ought to know that despite it's age, the Beaver is considered to be the most reliable small plane in the northern skies. With that in mind, I enjoyed every minute of yesterday afternoon's crossing from Vancouver to Silva Bay. Trevor was at the helm and the flight couldn't been smoother.

8 comments:

Wayne said...

In all these years I've never made the crossing by air. One of these days.

I agree, I'd have no hesitation flying in a Beaver.

Bob Crowe said...

A good shot that gives us a sense of your experience. I've been in light aircraft twice. I know a lawyer in Phoenix who is paraplegic, has his own single-engine plane and flies to all his engagements around the southwestern US. He has a couple of regular pilots. He once let us use the plane for most of a day, just paying the pilot and fuel. We flew from Phoenix to Sedona then to the Grand Canyon. We stopped at Lake Mead for gas and then returned over the Hopi and Navajo reservations. Something we will never forget.

Ann said...

Fantastic shot, what a view !

Virginia said...

GREAT SHOT and I will say I am glad you are home safely.
V

Steve Buser said...

Thanks for sharing the experience. It doesn't have the same sense of safety that a big jet does.

Laurie Allee said...

Thrilling shot! I have never flown in a small craft -- I would think it might make a perosn motion sick, like a boat on choppy water.

Christina S said...

Wow, would love to ride in one of these!

Becky said...

Looks fun! And I like how you preserved some of the cockpit view, but the focus is still on the islands below. Well done.